The mandate of the Cornwall Downtown Business Improvement Area (DBIA) is to build and maintain a strong business area for the community, and promote the downtown area so our businesses thrive and prosper. The DBIA strives to improve, beautify and maintain public land and buildings within the BIA beyond that which is provided by the municipality at large.
The DBIA operates with a Board of Directors of local leaders who strive to see the Downtown as a beautiful destination for locals and tourists alike.
What is a BIA?
BIA stands for Business Improvement Area, which is an association of commercial property owners who work with the City to create a thriving business area. BIAs can be found in many different cities and are usually located on main streets or areas that attract shoppers, diners, tourists, and new businesses. A BIA encompasses a defined area focus on initiatives and projects to improve that area. For us, the Downtown BIA is a family of hard-working individuals who have a passion for their industry and a community-focused spirit to make Cornwall a safe, fun, and unique place to shop, eat, and play!
So how does a BIA get funding to make these things happen? Funds are raised through a levy put on all of the businesses that operate inside of the DBIA geographic region. This is a mandatory levy that is paid by all the businesses in order to help advance the area. Once the city collects the levy, it returns it to the DBIA to use it on a variety of projects to help advance the DBIA (ex: beautification, initiatives, events, etc.).
The Cornwall Downtown BIA Board of Directors is proud to serve over 150 member businesses and bring revitalization efforts to the downtown core. With a focus on beautification and increasing patronage of the downtown, we are dedicated to making Downtown Cornwall a chosen destination for tourists and residents alike.
Cornwall’s downtown BIA includes some of our most vibrant local businesses. BIAs come into existence when local business and property owners join together to improve, promote and undertake projects that will result in a stronger and more appealing commercial area. With the City’s support, they organize, finance and complete local improvements and events.
DBIA BOARD OF DIRECTOR MEETINGS
The DBIA Board of Directors meet on the second Wednesday of every month to discuss how to execute projects or deal with issues. Here is the 2021 Schedule:
- Jan 13, 2021 10:00 AM
- Feb 10, 2021 10:00 AM
- Mar 10, 2021 10:00 AM
- Apr 14, 2021 10:00 AM
- May 12, 2021 10:00 AM
- Jun 9, 2021 10:00 AM
- Jul 14, 2021 10:00 AM
- Aug 11, 2021 10:00 AM
- Sep 8, 2021 10:00 AM
- Oct 13, 2021 10:00 AM
- Nov 10, 2021 10:00 AM
- Dec 8, 2021 10:00 AM
What We’re Up To
This year, the BIA board intends to participate in a range of activities:
- Marketing: We are re-branding the downtown with a fresh, new look and launching a website that will be much easier to navigate and will contain much more up-to-date information.
- Business recruitment: We hope to work with property owners to ensure that available space is occupied and that an optimum business and service mix is achieved and maintained.
- Streetscape improvement and beautification: We will be continuing our downtown lighting program and furniture replacement plan; providing for more customer-friendly lighting, signage, street furniture, planters, banners and sidewalk treatments.
- Seasonal decorations: We are creating a unique and pleasant environment for customers and staff of all businesses, retail and non-retail, through the use of decorations that are appropriate to the season and holiday.
- Special events: We will be organizing and partnering in more special events that highlight the unique attributes of the area and increase customer visits.