CORNWALL’S DOWNTOWN BIA
CHAIR – Martha Woods
VICE-CHAIR – Michelle Longtin
TREASURER – Brenda Campbell
SECRETARY – Todd Lihou
BOARD MEMBERS – David Michaud, John McDonald, Josh Casselman, Mike Baird, Kevin Lajoie, Robert Prowse
The mandate of the Cornwall Downtown Business Improvement Area (DBIA) is to build and maintain a strong business area for the community, and promote the downtown area so our businesses thrive and prosper. The DBIA strives to improve, beautify and maintain public land and buildings within the BIA beyond that which is provided by the municipality at large.
The Cornwall Downtown BIA board is proud to serve over 150 member businesses and bring revitalization efforts to the downtown core. With a focus on beautification and increasing patronage of the downtown, we are dedicated to making Downtown Cornwall a chosen destination for tourists and residents alike.
Cornwall’s downtown BIA includes some of our most vibrant local businesses. BIAs come into existence when local business and property owners join together to improve, promote and undertake projects that will result in a stronger and more appealing commercial area. With the City’s support, they organize, finance and complete local improvements and events.
What we’re up to
This year, the BIA board intends to participate in a range of activities:
- Marketing: We are re-branding the downtown with a fresh, new look and launching a website that will be much easier to navigate and will contain much more up-to-date information.
- Business recruitment: We hope to work with property owners to ensure that available space is occupied, and that an optimum business and service mix is achieved and maintained.
- Streetscape improvement and beautification: We will be continuing our downtown lighting program and furniture replacement plan; providing for more customer-friendly lighting, signage, street furniture, planters, banners and sidewalk treatments.
- Seasonal decorations: We are creating a unique and pleasant environment for customers and staff of all businesses, retail and non-retail, through the use of decorations that are appropriate to the season and holiday.
- Special events: We will be organizing and partnering in more special events that highlight the unique attributes of the area and increase customer visits.
We look forward to continued work to help make our City’s core the most vibrant, welcoming, successful downtown it can be.
Quartier Downtown District